Try These 14 Strategies High Achievers Use to Stay Motivated
September 30, 2015
Whether you want to learn a new skill, complete a work project or quit smoking, you need motivation to help you succeed. High achievers use these 14 powerful tactics to keep themselves motivated and on track. You can, too!
- Set a goal. Start small, with a project or part of a project you feel confident you can complete.
- Set a deadline. Deadlines help us stay focused. Keep your eyes on your deadline and you’re much more likely to achieve your goal
- Write down your goal. After it’s written, post it to your desk, computer, or anywhere you’ll see it daily. When your goal is top of mind, you’re sure to continually think about how to move it forward.
- Visualize your goal. Each day, spark some excitement by imagining what your finished goal will look like.
- Ditch negative thinking. Don’t focus on the difficulties in meeting your goal. Instead, concentrate on the sense of accomplishment you’ll feel upon reaching your goal.
- Share your goal. Tell friends, family members and colleagues about your goal. Post it to social media. Blog about it. The more people who know about your objective, the greater sense of responsibility you’ll feel about completing it.
- Get help. Ask those in your support network to cheer you on. Have them help you hold yourself accountable through daily or weekly feedback.
- Make a list. When you finish an item on the list, cross it off and enjoy a well-earned boost.
- Reward yourself. Decide on a reward when you reach your goal. It doesn’t have to be huge. Dinner out and a movie might do nicely.
- Wake up on time. Try setting your clock radio to a station that plays stimulating music. The music will help you get up and get going as soon as the alarm goes off.
- Let in the light. Don’t work in a dark room. Open the blinds. Sunlight will raise your mood—along with your motivation.
- Get enough sleep. A sufficient amount of sleep is guaranteed to give you a higher energy level.
- Exercise. Walk. Run. Hike. Bike. Work out at the health club. Get moving and you’ll be surprised at how much more energy you’ll have for everything else in your life.
- Stay Positive. Tell yourself you are fully capable of completing your goal. When a setback occurs, believe that you can overcome it!