Listening is one of the most important, yet frequently overlooked components of effective communication, especially for administrative professionals. It’s truly a skill and an art—to listen not just to the words someone says but to the meaning behind them. It’s also about listening for what is really needed, whether or not it’s actually expressed at all. In order to truly hone this skill, we must learn to gather information (both spoken and unspoken) and process it correctly, all while controlling our own impulses to jump in or filter what we hear.
In this session, you will learn:
- The different levels of listening and why they are ALL important
- The common ways we unintentionally derail our listening capabilities and how to avoid them
- Specific tactics you can use to help people around you feel heard
- How to utilize verbal and non-verbal active listening skills to uncover business needs as well as emotional needs, verify understanding and respond appropriately
- Strategies for continuing to expand your PM skills and gain valuable experience
Bonus Handouts: Bad Listening Habits Self-Assessment
Hot Tip: Communication experts suggest that 10% of meaning comes from words, 35% comes from tone of voice and 55% comes from body language. Therefore, to truly understand what someone is saying, you have to listen beyond words; listen with your eyes, ears, head and heart.
About Chrissy Scivicque: Chrissy Scivicque believes that work can be an enriching, nourishing life experience—and she loves helping professionals discover exactly what that means for them and how to achieve it. Her popular website, EatYourCareer.com, is devoted to this mission. As an award-winning writer, certified career coach and experienced corporate trainer, Chrissy brings a unique perspective to the world of professional development. She is also the author of the book, “The Proactive Professional.”
Looking for more webinar access?
Become an ASAP All-Access Member and have unlimited access to ASAP's expansive webinar library. Learn More Here!